About Our School

Welcome to Davis-Townsend Elementary School!
Below you will find general information, our vision and mission statements, and our history.
We hope you will love our school as much as we do!

Davis-Townsend General Information

School Building.png


Principal: Mrs. Lydia Hedrick
Assistant Principal: Ms. Linda Addis

Number of Students: 490

How to Enroll: Call Davis-Townsend office 249-9880 or stop by for enrollment paperwork.

After School Care: The Lexington YMCA provides after school care
on campus from 2:30 to 6:00. Contact the YMCA for information.

School Colors: Blue & White

 School Vision Statement

Working together to learn forever.

School Mission Statement
The Davis-Townsend Community views each child as a unique individual with the ability to become successful lifelong learners.
(We are working this year to revise both the vision and mission statement. 
We will update them as we go.)  

School History

Illustration Of Books.jpg
The old Davis-Townsend School was located six miles east of Lexington on Holly Grove Road just off New Highway 64 East, approximately halfway between Lexington and Thomasville. The school served students from Howard Black Road in the west, to Mt. Zion Church Road in the east, to Briggstown Road in the south, to Rich Fork Creek in the north, drawing students from both Conrad Hill and Silver Hill Townships. 

The first Davis-Townsend school was built in 1930. It was a consolidation of the following community schools: Embler's (Imbler's) Grove (Ridge), Holly Grove, Hedrick's Grove, Burkhart, Cedar Grove, Sandy Grove, Young's Curry Colored School, and Whitner Colored School. Fairview School was located in the woods in the vicinity of Central Estates, off Briggstown Road. It was for students from the first grade though the seventh grade. After that, most students went to Linwood, but some went to Davis-Townsend.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Younts donated the land. The school was named for Olin T. Davis, chairman of the county Board of Education from 1921-1930 and Howard D. Townsend, chairman of the Board from 1930-1937. Grades 1-12 occupied Davis-Townsend until Central Davidson High School was constructed and provided space for Grades 9-12. Grades 6-8 were also later transferred from Davis-Townsend to Central Davidson Junior High School. A kindergarten program was initiated in 1973 and Davis-Townsend served Grades K-5 with an enrollment of 511 students through the spring of 1996. 

The original building experienced many physical changes in order to facilitate a progressive educational program. As the enrollment increased, the former gymnasium was converted into a cafeteria and a separate gymnasium was built on the school grounds. The auditorium was later converted to classroom space and housed four resource classes. 

Outdoor recreational facilities were added in the form of fenced-in play areas with a multi-purpose shelter and both primary and advanced obstacle courses. A nature trail offered the opportunity for expanded scientific exploration and observation. 

The Davis-Townsend Booster Club worked to further expand the range of recreational activities available to the students and to the community at large. Other community recreational interests included 4-H clubs scouting, YMCA, and church activities.

Davis-Townsend School continued to be a learning facility, which provided opportunities to challenge and enrich the lives of the children, and community it served. Within the timeworn rooms of an aging physical plant, very modern and innovative teaching techniques and equipment were utilized in educating students with differing backgrounds, abilities, and socio-economic levels.

Because of an aging physical plant, great strides in technology, ever-changing innovative teaching techniques and an active, growing community, Davis-Townsend embarked on a new era when it moved into a brand new modern facility in the spring of 1996. The new campus is located on a thirty-eight acre tract on the Heath Church Road, two miles east of the current location. The land was purchased from three local residents, Grimes Conrad, Austin Rose, and Carol Shaw.

The current building that houses Davis-Townsend is 75,000 sq. feet. It houses thirty-one regular classrooms, a "cafetorium", which includes a cafeteria and a multi-purpose room, complete with a stage area. The new Davis-Townsend is the first complete school facility in Davidson County with a standing seam pitched roof. Core facilities, such as the media center, cafeteria, and restrooms are designed for 750 students with the remaining sectors set up to accommodate 600 students with room for future expansion. 

There is 15,000 sq. ft. of playground in all: one playground for K-2 and one for grades 3-5.  The Davis-Townsend PTO, which is a very active organization, has equipped these playgrounds. They currently have plans to create a third playground.  Also, there are two ball fields with backstops and ample space for children to run and play. In addition to these recreational areas, there are botanical gardens in the center of the courtyard area.  The school's second courtyard is under construction for an outdoor classroom.